Thursday, September 1, 2016

Do Schools Kill Creativity?

From the assigned video we all watched I took away a lesson about the diversity in learning. Some learn through sight or sound or repetition or movement and I took to heart the viewpoint he presented because he explained that diversity extremely well. Robinson's main point was that schools squander creativity in youth and then expect those same children to be creative and innovative later in life when instead we should encourage creativity in youth. It seems to me that in early childhood education children are taught that they need intellectual guidelines for thinking about their world first before they are allowed to think outside of the guidelines presented to them. I do not want to go along with that method of teaching.
I agree that when a child shows constructive creativity we as teachers should encourage those ideas. As a future teacher this video helped me understand how diverse learning is for each individual child. I hope to be a teacher that does encourage abstract thought and diverse thinking through allowing myself to be accepting and understanding about that diversity. As is common, most individuals find a structure and routine that they like and then never allow themselves to deviate from it. I hope to be a teacher that not only encourages but loves diverse learning methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment